Maternity triage and advice line
Call us on 01903 285269 if you think you are in labour or have a question for the midwife.
- Telephone Triage is run by a small group of experienced midwives with a wealth of knowledge in all aspects of maternity care, antenatal, labour and postnatal.
- Our team is available 7 days a week between 7.30 am – 8.30 pm.
When calling outside these times you will hear a menu asking you which hospital you are booked at and to select the appropriate option, this will then transfer your call to that labour ward where you can speak to a midwife.
- Although the dialling code for telephone triage is 01903 this service covers all women booked at Worthing Hospital or St Richard’s Hospital in Chichester.
- If you are calling in early pregnancy and have concerns regarding pain or bleeding we can advise on all aspects.
Sometimes it is necessary to refer you to our early pregnancy clinics depending on symptoms.
- If we feel that you need to be seen, in some instances it is appropriate that you make an appointment with your own GP.
If we feel that you need to be seen by a midwife or an obstetric doctor we can organise a community midwife to visit you at home or in a nearby clinic or for you to come into our day assessment units or labour wards at either hospital.
- If you are calling because you feel that your labour has started we have found that women really like the continuity of speaking to the same midwife and knowing that the midwife can spend time assessing you over the telephone so that you do not have to travel to the hospital unnecessarily.
This means you can remain in the comfort of your own home until you feel ready to come into hospital or have a community midwife assess you at home.
Many women in early labour call more than once and gain a rapport with the triage midwife knowing that she is aware of their history and can provide much needed comfort and reassurance, to keep you and your baby safe.
- When you have had your baby and are back at home we are more than happy to give advice for you and your baby in the postnatal period, and again if we have any concerns and feel you need to be seen this can be arranged.
If you would like to give any feedback regarding this service please do not hesitate to contact:
Sally Laatz – Maternity Telephone Triage Co-Ordinator email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Family Assist is a great new source of information for parents-to-be, their families and friends to help them through pregnancy and beyond, managed by Western Sussex Hospitals and our partners at Sussex Community NHS Foundation Trust and West Sussex County Council.
Click on the Family Assist logo to find out more