Core Surgery – Educational opportunities
There are specialty teaching sessions, teaching on post take ward rounds and trauma meetings.
Regular Clinical Governance meetings occur with morbidity and mortality discussions and audit presentations as well as teaching topics.
Each Monday morning there is a departmental meeting which includes radiology teaching followed by M&M, audit presentations, journal reviews, invited teaching presentations and, on alternate weeks, immersive simulation sessions.
Regional Training Days are compulsory and trainees are encouraged to attend as many as possible. Trainees are always released from duties to attend these teaching days.
- Weekly general surgical MDT meetings with excellent learning opportunities.
- Tuesday 1pm – 1hr F2 teaching led by the SpRs
- Thursday lunchtime – Consultant led teaching for FYs and CTs in Orthopaedics. Trainees pick a common Orthopaedic condition to discuss and deliver a teaching session to the group. This is followed by discussion and additional input from the consultants.
- Rotational Clinical Governance afternoons which includes Morbidity & Mortality meeting, x-ray meeting and audit presentations – teams allocated to present cases and discussions allow excellent learning opportunities from these cases
- Monthly orthopaedic radiology MDT and Orthopaedic infection MDT
No official time allocated for audit / research / exam revision. Trainees may take opportunities at quiet times.
Consultants are always willing to do work based assessments but expect these to be trainee driven and led/sent in a timely fashion.
The department offers a high level of surgical exposure and the education sessions include formal teaching by consultants and SpRs, a weekly journal club and an M&M meeting
More information is available on the PGME website at https://pgme.info/doctors/specialties/surgery/